History of Maplewood

Maplewood post cardsIn the late 1840’s W. C. Sherwood built a farm on the land south of, and including Hattie Sherwood Park.   In 1891 Dr. Victor Kutchin, who married Hattie Sherwood, opened the Maplewood Hotel using the original farm house as the basis for the hotel.  A large wing was added to accommodate up to 75 people.

The Maplewood catered to guests during the summer and to fisherman in the fall who braved the icy waters to catch large amounts of bass and trout.

The Maplewood was the last of the summer hotels to succumb to the change of times and was razed in the early 1950’s.

Maplewood post cards 8 Maplewood post cards 10
Maplewood post cards 4 Maplewood post cards 3
Maplewood Hotel  Maplewood post cards 2